Friday, June 25, 2010

Cross Culture Adaptation Essay

2 of 2 required statements for the Peace Corps application package.

Cross Culture Adaptation Essay

In 1990, when my oldest daughter was in middle school she attended many birthday parties. Most times, I would drop her off at her friend’s home and if I had not met the parents, I would go inside to meet them and sometimes stay. When I took her to this one party, it took me completely by surprise when I saw that my daughter and I were the only non-African Americans there. So much so, that I politely refused to stay and visit with the other mothers.

I was perplexed and upset with my reaction. We lived in New Haven, CT, which has a large diversified population. I also worked in the local National Guard unit that is comprised of a cross-section of the same ethnic groups. I have taught my children by my actions, to accept people for whom they were, not by how they looked.

This incident was a revelation, in that I realized, I had unconscious perceptions of people from different ethnical backgrounds. Since then when I found myself in a situation where I was uncomfortable with anyone, I would ask myself, was I stereotyping or prejudging them and more importantly why?

In the process of deciding what to write for this essay, I was able to pinpoint the event, which sparked my initial uneasiness with other races. I attended a large, integrated high school that was comprised of several buildings on a 76-acre campus. This was during the late 60s era of continuing racial tension. There were times when hostile groups of black students would run screaming though the halls, out the doors and across campus and/or pick deliberate fights with other students. While I was never injured or involved in any of the incidents, I was pushed several times, intimidated and cowed with the possibilities.

This realization has helped me to know that while my past fears and uneasiness had a basis, they are no longer valid. And while I’ve been able for many years to feel comfortable in my interactions with all people, this new understanding will make me more open to learning about myself, and the people that I will meet and live with in the Peace Corps.

No comments:

Post a Comment