Thursday, July 8, 2010

Miscellaneous in my Suitcase(s)

Five days and a Wake Up until my Journey Starts

According to Peace Corps regulation, MS 543: Use of IT Systems by Volunteers, Trainees, and Returned Peace Corps Volunteers, Section 7.5, Safely and Security, “For their own protection, it is advisable not to provide information about Volunteers' personal possessions.” So if you want a complete list of what I’m taking you will have to email or PM me. Note this list will not probably be set in stone, until the morning of July 14th and then I’m traveling for a few days

But, I thought it would be OK to tell of a couple of small odd-ball items that are finding their way into my suitcase.

1. Go-Girl! I have to admit I been just marginally concerned about the strong possibility of using a squat toilet. No so much for the idea or the ‘ick’ factor, but for my sometimes creaky knees. Note, the squat toilets shown in wiki might be higher class than what I will come across in West Africa…so perhaps there is a ‘ick’ factor, besides the ‘knee’ concern. I came across Feminine Urination Devices (FUDs) in my internet wandering and found out that they are not such a weird idea. After doing a lot a research on FUDs, (there are several kinds/brands) I selected Go-Girl to test drive. Yes, works as it claims, simple, easy, fairly discrete and reusable. I'm going to order more, I plan to be prepared!

2. Oxo Good Gripes Vegetable Brush: I like the good reviews and one can always use a good veggie scrubber. Yes, I can probably get one in Porto-Novo or Cotonou, if fact it was noted in the PCV material that I received that a lot of items could be bought in these larger cities, but the quality might not be to what we are accustomed too. So, my veggie peeler, a small sturdy can opener and a veggie brush will be insuitcase #1

3. Handy Farm Devices and How to Make Them. I came across a website where this entire book was posted several years ago. It made such interesting reading that I bookmarked it…just in case, you know. Well, just in case happen! I’ll be in some type of farming environment, and how cool it will be if there is a need for a farm device, that I can pull out this book and say, "we can make this." Be sure to click on the “Look Inside” button at Amazon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment