Thursday, July 15, 2010

Good Morning Philly!

Yesterday was an amazing day—the accumulation of 10.5 months of various levels of paperwork, anticipation, stress, worry, nail-biting…well, you get the idea!

The flight from New Haven to Philly was easy; it was only an hour-ish flight, so much better than all the cross-country flights that I usually do. I figured out how and what ground transportation to use to get to the hotel, EGADS, even with wheels my bags are heavy. Of course, with my weighty carry-ons, my black tote bag that my Michelle gave to me so many years ago and a medium over the shoulder bag, I felt like a beast of burden.

This time the black tote bag carries my NEO, a paperback, French book/CD, CD Player, tatting supplies and instruction booket, etc, etc, etc. Speaking of my Neo, I forgot the PC connection cord, “blowing a imaginary wisp of hair out of my eyes,” I FORGOT THE CONNECTION CORD! Left it in the Neo carry case. I decided not to bring the case as I always carry Neo in the black tote and my thinking is that the case makes it looks like I have one of those small laptops in it, which would maybe make it more susceptible to theft. Also, I don’t want to be the rich American with the fancy electronic gadgets.

Anyway, the cord is ordered, shipped to my other daughter Jenn, who will then post it to Benin. I should see my cord in a month or so.

Yesterday was non-stop getting to know my fellow volunteers via discussion groups and nifty workshops. There are 62 members of this cycle of volunteers going to Benin. Yes, I’m the grandma of the group! Though, I believe there are a sprinkling of 30 somethings. It’s all good, as I expected that and I’m well-used to living and working and being surrounded with a group of adults in their 20s.

FRENCH, I’m not the only one with very low levels – to almost no French skills; it was the major theme of the day, cropping up in most of the workshops. We are all in this together!

I faded rather quickly during the last two hours of orientation and opted NOT to wander the streets of Historical Philadelphia with everyone else. Found an easy dinner at the little hotel bar & grill, took it to my room and relaxed. Then I took the time to rearrange my bags, which was when I realized that the Neo cord was missing. A good night sleep and I’m ready for July 15, 2010.

Now, off to the clinic to get shot-up… immunizations!

Cheers,

No comments:

Post a Comment